Debt collectors are regulated:
- They can't call before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
- They can't use insulting language.
- They can't demand that you pay more than you owe.
- They are not allowed to lie (and they cannot say that their papers are legal forms if they aren't).
- They cannot make up consequences for not paying your debt.
- They cannot call you at work if your employer doesn’t allow it.
What to do:
- You can stop debt collectors from calling you by writing them a letter.
- Visit www.ftc.gov/moneymatters for information on how to handle your debt.