Wage Attachments

This article was produced by LARCC in cooperation with CLS, GHLA, NHLAA, and SLS.

Wage Attachments

Is money being taken from your wages to pay debts? Find out what you can do.

Can money be taken out of my pay if I owe a creditor money?

Yes, but ONLY after the creditor sues you and wins. The creditor will get a court order (a judgment) that will force your employer to take money from your paycheck to pay the debt. The court order is called a “wage execution.” (It is also called a wage “garnishment” or “attachment”). Your earnings may be “exempt” (protected) and will not have to be taken.

They should not take money out of your pay if...
You are receiving welfare and working under a work incentive earnings or similar program. You must tell the court or money will still be taken from your wages.

How will I find out if money will be taken out of my pay?

Your employer must give you a copy of the wage execution order as soon they get it from the court. You have 20 days from the "date of service" written on the wage execution form before any money can be taken out of your pay.

Form screenshot

How much can they take?

You must be left with whichever is more:

  • at least $348 ($360 in 2015) -or-
  • 75% of your take-home pay

If your weekly take home pay is $348 ($360 in 2015) or less, nothing may be taken out of your pay for the wage execution. Child support has different rules…see below.

As soon as you have the execution form, make sure your employer is not taking too much out of your pay. Ask your employer to show you how they came up with the amount.

What can I do if I can’t afford it or my wages are protected?

You can

  • Ask the court to lower the amount, or
  • Ask for an exemption if your wages are protected.

A court hearing will be held. You may want your own lawyer if you did not get the legal papers or you do not owe the debt.

To ask for a court hearing:

  • Fill out and file the form Exemption & Modification. (You should have received this form along with the Wage Execution Order.)

Form screenshot

– If you file WITHIN the 20-day period, no money will be taken out of your pay until a hearing is held and the judge makes a decision.

– If you file AFTER the 20-day period, the original amount the court ordered will be taken out of your pay until a hearing is held and the judge orders another amount or you and the creditor come to an agreement.

Get ready for the court hearing:

You can explain to the judge why you need less money taken out of your pay. Before your hearing, write down a basic budget that shows how much money you need to support yourself and your family. Explain the size of your family, your debts, and unusual expenses.

You may want your own lawyer if you did not get the legal papers or you do not owe the debt.

  • If you can, get help from a lawyer the day you get the legal papers.
  • You should be left with at least $348/wk ($360/wk in 2015) to take home--unless the wage execution is for child support (see below, Special Rules for Child Support).
  • You cannot be fired or disciplined simply because your wages have been attached (unless you have more than seven wage attachments in a calendar year).


The court order to take money from your pay for child support is called a "withholding order for support" (rather than a "wage execution"). And, the rules are different for child support.

How much can they take?

  • If you earn $145 OR MORE per week, you must be left with $123.25 take home pay per week.
  • If you earn LESS THAN $145 per week, you must be left with 85% of your take home pay per week. (For example, if you earn $130 per week, you must be left with $110.50 per week).

The judge will explain these minimum amounts at the hearing. If you're not at the hearing, a notice must be sent by certified mail to your last known address.

What can I do if I want to keep more of my paycheck?

You can ask for a court hearing within 15 days of getting the notice and claim that:

  • You do not owe any money, are not past due, or should not have money taken from your pay, or
  • You have not been left with the minimum amount.

To ask for a court hearing:

  • Fill out and file the claim form
    (on page 2 of the Notice and Claim Form / Support Income Withholding, Form #JD-FM-68).

  • Sometimes only part of the child support amount that you owe is taken from your pay. You will still owe the rest of the child support order until a court reduces the amount of the order.
  • If your income is too low to pay the order, you should think about asking the court to change the child support order. (See our booklet, Q&A for the Parent Who Pays Child Support.)

This flyer was produced by the Legal Assistance Resource Center of Connecticut in cooperation with Connecticut Legal Services, Greater Hartford Legal Aid, New Haven Legal Assistance Association, and Statewide Legal Services.

This information is based on laws in Connecticut as of 1/2014. We hope that the information is helpful. It is not intended as legal advice. For advice on your situation, call Statewide Legal Services or contact a lawyer. © 1/2014

For more information:

If you are 60 or over, contact the Consumer Law Project for Elders (CLPE) at 1-800-296-1467.

If you are under 60, contact Statewide Legal Services at 860-344-0380 (Central CT & Middletown) or 1-800-453-3320 (all other regions).

Not from Connecticut?

Most of the information on this web site is for Connecticut residents only.
Visit LawHelp.org to find a legal services program and/or a legal information web site in your area.