About Your Driver’s License & Car Registration: Questions and Answers

This article was produced by CLS, GHLA, NHLAA, and SLS.

About Your Driver’s License & Car Registration: Questions and Answers

Q: Why can my driver’s license be suspended?

A: Your driver’s license can be suspended for many reasons. Here are a few of the reasons:

  • not having car insurance,
  • speeding, reckless driving, or driving under the influence (DUI),
  • being involved in a hit and run accident,
  • not taking a blood, breath, or urine test when asked by the police,
  • not paying parking tickets,
  • not paying child support on time,
  • and more.

Q: What can I do if my license is suspended?

A: First, get a certified copy of your driving history. To get this history, fill out a Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) J-23 form. Next, call the DMV Suspension Unit to find out what you can do.

Q: How do I get back my license if it is suspended because of a DUI conviction?

A: If your license is suspended because of a DUI conviction, you should talk with a lawyer or the DMV Suspension Unit to find out your options. Any time your license is suspended, you will have to pay a reinstatement fee. If you have three DUI convictions, your license will be permanently taken away.

Q: I need my car for work...what can I do?

A: It is possible to get a work permit thatallows you to drive your car, but only to and from work. Call the DMV’s Suspension Unit for a work permit application. There are times when a permit will not be given (for example, if you are caught driving while under suspension).

Note: Except for getting your driving history, license restoration or suspension transactions are not done at DMV offices. They must be done by mail.

Q: What can I do if my car registration is going to be suspended?

A: It depends on the reason for the suspension.

No car insurance: If your insurance coverage is cancelled, the insurance company will send the DMV a notice. The DMV will mail you a Warning Notice that tells how to keep your car registered by signing a consent agreement, getting insurance again, and paying a $200 fee. If you do not take these steps, your car registration will be suspended. If you take these steps within six months, you can keep your plate numbers and reinstate your current registration by showing proof of insurance and paying the $200 fee. After six months, you will have to get a new registration, show proof of insurance, and pay the $200 fee for not having insurance. Call the DMV Insurance Compliance Unit.

Unpaid property taxes: Call the town that claims you owe property tax and speak with the Revenue or Tax Collector. If you pay the tax before your registration is cancelled, you will not have to pay a $125 reinstatement fee. Otherwise, you will have to pay the $125 fee.

Q: My license is suspended because of unpaid parking tickets. What should I do?

A: If you pay the parking tickets before the suspension starts, you will not have to pay an additional fee. You will only have to prove that you paid the tickets. If you pay the tickets on or after the suspension starts, you will have to pay an additional $125 reinstatement fee. To make payments, call the court at the phone number listed on your suspension notice.

Q: What can I do if the suspension is wrong?

A: You have a right to a hearing. Call the DMV to set up a hearing.

DMV contact information


Main: 1-800-842-8222 or 860-263-5700

Suspension Unit: 860-263-5720

This information is based on laws in CT as of 1/2010. It is not intended as legal advice for an individual situation; you should consult with a lawyer if possible.

For more information, contact:

Statewide Legal Services: 860-344-0380 (Central CT & Middletown) or 1-800-453-3320 (all other regions).

For people over 60, click here to get help from legal aid.

Not from Connecticut?

Most of the information on this website is for Connecticut residents only.
Find help in another state.

Was this helpful?

We'd love to know what you think of this page. All submissions are anonymous.

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Incorrect please try again
Enter the words above: Enter the words you hear: