Main Content

Do you disagree with a decision Social Security has made

If you got a notice that your benefits are being lowered or cut off and you disagree, you can appeal in writing to Social Security. You can write a letter or go to your local Social Security Office and ask for an appeal form.

You are allowed to appeal up to 65 days from the date on the notice. 

If you get your appeal in within 15 days of the date on the notice, you can ask in writing to keep your benefits going during the appeal. To get your appeal in quickly, it's best to bring your appeal form to your local Social Security office.

If you have very low income and you live in Connecticut, you may also be able to get help from legal aid.

Apply for Legal Help

If you have very low income, you may be able to get help from legal aid. You can apply online using a desktop computer and we will call you back. Or call the Statewide Legal Services hotline at 1-800-453-3320 (860-344-0380 from Central CT) Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 or between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m.

Obtenga Ayuda de Asistencia Legal

Mayor de 60 años: Obtenga ayuda legal.
Menor de 60 años: Encuentre ayuda legal o llene una solicitud en línea.
¿No es de Connecticut? Encuentre ayuda en otro estado.