Main Content

How to Fill Out the Financial Affidavit Form

August 2017

In divorce, separation, and custody cases, parents must give their financial information to the court. The court needs this information to make orders about child support, alimony, or legal fees.

How do I give my financial information to the court?

You will need to fill out a Financial Affidavit form. You can get the form from the court clerk or from the State of Connecticut Judicial Branch website. If you have very low income, you should use the short version of the Financial Affidavit (#JD-FM-6-SHORT) There is a long version of the form for people who have higher income and assets, but this booklet talks only about the short form.

Step 1:
It is highly recommended that you get the form at the Judicial Branch website and save it to your computer to work on it digitally. The form is a fillable PDF and it will do all of the math calculations for you. Make sure to save your work as you go.

If you have to fill out the form by hand, start with two or more blank copies of the form. You can use the extra copies to practice.

Step 2:
You will need your financial information to fill out the form, including

  • pay stubs,
  • recent bills you have paid,
  • recent bills you have not paid yet,
  • your checkbook, and
  • bank account statements.

Step 3:
Make sure to answer each question and fill out all of the pages. If a question does not apply to you, write "None" or "0." Fill out the form completely, but do not sign it. See below for instructions on how to fill out the form.

Step 4:
After you fill out the form, take it to a notary, a lawyer, or the court clerk. You will have to swear that the information you wrote on the form is true. Then you will sign it and that person will sign as your witness.

Step 5:
Make three copies of the completed and signed form.

  • Send a copy to your spouse or your spouse’s lawyer.
  • Keep a copy for your records.
  • Take a copy to your court hearing.

When should I give the court my financial information?

The court usually needs your financial information at the end of a case, but it may need it sooner sometimes in order to make temporary orders.

How to fill out the Financial Affidavit form

Get the Financial Affidavit online at and download it to your computer, making sure to save it as you go. You can fill it out by hand, but if you use a computer, the form will do the math for you.

Start by filling out the Instructions section at the top of the form.

You must list the

  • docket number,
  • Judicial district,
  • court address,
  • name of your case, and
  • your name (under “name off affiant”).

Look for this information on your other court papers and copy it here.

Then check one of these boxes:

Plaintiff or Defendant

If you started this case, you are the plaintiff. If your spouse or the other parent started this case, then you are the defendant. If this is part of another case, the person who started that case is the plaintiff.

For a sample of a completed affidavit, see page below.

I. Income

1)      Gross Weekly Income/Monies and Benefits from all Sources

The Financial Affidavit is based on your weekly income and expenses. If your income and expenses are not paid weekly, you will have to figure out your weekly average.

If you are paid…

Here’s how to get your average weekly gross income:

Every other week – 26 paychecks per year.

Divide your gross pay in one paycheck by 2.

This is your weekly average pay.

Twice a month (for example, you are paid each month on the 15th and 30th) – 24 paychecks per year.

Multiply your gross pay in one paycheck by 2 to get your monthly pay.

Multiply that number by 12 months.

Divide the total by 52 weeks.

This is your weekly average pay.

One paycheck per month.

Multiply your gross pay in one paycheck by 12 months.

Divide the total by 52 weeks.
This is your average weekly pay.

You get an annual salary.

Divide the gross amount you are paid each year by 52.

This is your weekly average pay.

Your average must be based on at least 13 weeks. If the amounts you write in are based on fewer than 13 weeks, you must explain why in the lines provided.

Section (a) (Job 1, Job 2 and Job 3): Fill in your average weekly gross income, which is the amount you get paid before taxes and other deductions are taken out of your pay. To figure out the average, add your gross income for the past 13 weeks (see the chart above to get that amount) and divide the total by 13. If you are not working, put “none” or “0.”

  • Lines (b) through (p): If you get money from any other source (such as Social Security, disability, or unemployment), fill in the amounts in the spaces provided.
  • Line (q): Fill in your Total Gross Weekly Income/Monies and Benefits from All Sources.

If you’re filling out the form by hand, add up lines (b) through (p) and enter it here. In the second field, put your total income from all sources from the year before.

2)  Mandatory Deductions
Here you will write the weekly average amount of each deduction taken from your paycheck, including

  • Federal income tax,
  • Social Security,
  • State income tax,
  • Medicare, 
  • health insurance,
  • union dues, and
  • child support or alimony.

3)  Net Weekly Income
This amount is calculated by subtracting your Total Mandatory Deductions in part (2) from your Total Gross Weekly Income in part (1).

II. Weekly Expenses Not Deducted From Pay

In this section you must list each of your weekly expenses.

If a bill is one you pay monthly, multiply the monthly amount by 12 and divide the total by 52.

If a bill is one you pay yearly, divide the yearly amount by 52.

Tip: Under Other, you can list expenses such as laundry, haircuts, cigarettes, church donations, children's school expenses, school lunches, toys, recreation, movie rentals, toiletries (such as shampoo, contact lens solution, makeup), newspapers, stamps, union dues, etc.

Add all of your expenses in this section and put the total under Total Weekly Expenses Not Deducted From Pay.

Important: If you have more income than expenses, that means you have extra money after paying all of your bills. If this is not true for you, think about other expenses that you may have forgotten to write down. By listing all ofyour expenses, the court will know how much support is needed.

III. Liabilities (Debts)

Liabilitiesare debts that you owe. You must list the amount that you pay per week for each debt. List every person or company that you owe money to. Also include overdue items that you have not paid, such as utility and tax bills, credit cards, medical bills, and personal and student loans. Do not include any expenses that are listed in Section II. Weekly Expenses Not Deducted From Pay.

The creditor is the person or company you owe money to.

  • Check the box marked Sole if the bill is in your name alone.
  • Check the box marked Joint if someone else’s name is also on the bill (for example, your spouse).

Balance Due is the amount you still owe.

Date Debt Incurredis the date you took on the debt. If you don’t know, try to list the month and year. If the debt is a credit card, you don’t need to put a date.

Weekly Payment is the amount you pay per week. If you have not made payments, write “0” on this line. If you have already put your auto loan payments under Weekly Expenses, do not list them here.

Tip: If your expense is monthly, multiply the monthly amount by 12 and divide the total by 52.If your expense is yearly, divide the yearly amount by 52.

Line (A): Total Liabilities (Total Balance Due on Debts)

Add all items in the Balance Due column here.

Line (B): Total Weekly Liabilities Expense
Add all items in the Weekly Payment column here.

IV. Assets

In this section, you will list valuable things that you own. If you do not know the exact value, you can guess. Assets include

  • real estate;
  • motor vehicles;
  • bank accounts;
  • stocks, bonds, and mutual funds;
  • insurance;
  • retirement plans;
  • business interest/self-employment; and
  • other things you own that are worth money.

I. Total Net Value of All Assets
Add all items in A-H above and write that number.

V. Child(ren)’s Assets.
Here you will list any of your kids' trust accounts.

VI. Health
Here you will list the name and address of your health and dental insurance companies and the names of the people your policies cover.

Write and add the totals from sections I through IV.

Do not sign yet!
You must sign the form in front of a court clerk, a notary public, or a lawyer. When you sign this form, you are swearing that the information is true.

Make 3 copies of the completed, signed form.

Remember to

  • send 1 copy to your spouse or your spouse’s lawyer,
  • keep one copy for your records, and
  • take one copy to your court hearing.

What if I don’t earn much money and I need help to pay my court fees?

You will have to fill out a form called the Application for Waiver of Fees. If you need help filling out this form, see the legal aid booklet called A Guide to Fee Waivers.

En casos de divorcio, custodia y separación legal, los cónyuges (o padres) tienenque proporcionar su información financiera a la corte. La corte necesita su información financiera para dictar órdenes de manutención de los hijos, pensión alimenticia u honorarios legales.

¿Cómo le proporciono mi información financiera a la corte?

Tiene que llenar un formulario de la corte llamado Declaración financiera jurada. Puede obtener este formulario del secretario de la corte o descargarlo del sitio web de las cortes de Connecticut. Si tiene muy bajos ingresos, tiene que llenar la versión corta de la Declaración financiera jurada, (Financial Affidavit, #JD-FM-6-SHORT). La puede descargar en También hay una versión larga para aquellas personas que cuentan con más ingresos y activos. Pero este folleto solo habla del formulario corto.

Paso 1:
Le recomendamos descargar el formulario del sitio web de la División Judicial para poder entrar sus datos desde su propia computadora. El formulario descargable es un PDF interactivo que hará todos los cálculos automáticamente. A medida que pone sus datos en el formulario asegúrese de guardar (SAVE) su trabajo periódicamente.

Si tiene que llenar el formulario a mano, le conviene tener unas dos o más copias en blanco del formulario.

Puede usar una copia como borrador.

Paso 2:
Necesitará su información financiera, como por ejemplo

  • recibos de sueldo,
  • cuentas recientes que pagó,
  • cuentas recientes que todavía no pagó,
  • chequera, y
  • resúmenes de cuentas bancarias.

Paso 3:
Responda a cada una de las preguntas y llene ambos lados del formulario. Si una pregunta no corresponde a su caso, escriba "none" (ninguno) o "0". Llene el formulario por completo, pero no lo firme todavía. Vea las instrucciones a continuación sobre cómo llenar el formulario.

Paso 4:
Después de llenar el formulario, lleve su formulario llenado a un notario, abogado o al secretario de la corte. Esa persona le pedirá que jure que la información que dio es correcta. Después usted lo firmará, y esa persona firmará como testigo.

Paso 5:
Haga 3 copias del formulario llenado y firmado.

  • Envíe 1 copia a su cónyuge o al abogado de su cónyuge.
  • Guarde 1 copia como comprobante.
  • Lleve 1 copia consigo a la audiencia.

¿Cuándo le tengo que dar a la corte mi información financiera?

En general la corte necesita su información financiera al final del caso. Pero en algunas ocasiones, la corte puede necesitarla antes para dictar órdenes temporales.

Cómo llenar su Declaración financiera jurada

Obtenga la Declaración financiera jurada en línea en y descárguela a su computadora, asegurándose de guardar sus datos periódicamente. La Declaración se puede llenar a mano, pero se la llena usando una computadora, todos los cálculos se hacen automáticamente.

Llene el encabezamiento del formulario:

Tiene que proporcionar

  • el número de caso,
  • el distrito judicial,
  • la dirección de la corte,
  • el nombre de su caso, y
  • su nombre (debajo del nombre del declarante (Name of affiant)).

Encuentre esta información en los demás documentos del caso y cópiela aquí.

Después marque también una de las siguientes casillas:

Plaintiff (demandante) o Defendant (demandado).

Si usted es el que inició el caso, será el demandante. Si su cónyuge o el otro padre inició el caso, usted será el demandado. Si este es parte de otro caso, la persona que inició el otro caso es el demandante.

Para ver un ejemplo de Declaración financiera jurada llenada, visite pagina xxx, Ejemplo 1.


1)    Ingresos Semanales/Dinero y prestaciones de todas fuentes

Su Declaración financierajurada le pide sus ingresos y gastos semanales. Si no recibe sus ingresos o paga sus gastos por semana, tendrá que calcular su promedio semanal.

Si le pagan...

A continuación, le indicamos cómo calcular su ingreso bruto semanal promedio:


Cada quincena
cada dos semanas - 26 cheques de pago al año


Divida sus ingresos brutos en su cheque de paga por 2.

Este es su salario promedio semanal.

dos veces al mes (por ej., si le pagan cada mes los días 15 y 30) - 24 cheques de pago al año


Multiplique su salario bruto de un cheque de pago por 2. Este es su pago mensual.

Multiplique este numero por 12 meses.

Divida el total por 52 semanas.

Este es su salario promedio semanal.


un cheque de pago por mes


Multiplique sus ingresos brutos en su cheque de paga por 12 meses.

Divida el total por 52 semanas.
Este es su salario promedio semanal.

usted hace un salario anual


Divida el monto bruto que le paga en un año por 52.

Este es su salario promedio semanal.

Su promedio debe estar basado en al menos 13 semanas. Si las cantidades que pone están basadas en menos de 13 semanas, usted debe explicar porqué. Use el espacio provisto.

Sección (a) (Trabajo 1, Trabajo 2 y Trabajo 3): Ponga su ingreso bruto semanal promedio, que es el monto que paga antes de que le quiten impuestos y otras deducciones de su pago.

Para calcular el promedio, sume sus ingresos brutos de las últimas 13 semanas y después divida por 13. Si no está trabajando, escriba "none" (ninguno) o "0".

  • Líneas (b) a (p): Si recibe dinero de otras fuentes (como por ejemplo, Seguro Social, pago por discapacidad o compensación por desempleo), indique cuánto recibe en los espacios provistos.
  • Línea (q): Ponga su Ingreso semanal total bruto / Dinero y prestaciones de todas fuentes. Si está llenando el formulario a mano, sume las líneas (b) a (p) y ponga el total aquí. En el segundo campo, ponga sus ingresos totales de todas las fuentes del año anterior.

2) Deducciones obligatorias
Aquí tiene que poner el promedio semanal de cada deducción tomada de su cheque de pago, incluyendo

  • Impuestos federales,
  • Seguro Social,
  • Impuesto estatal sobre los ingresos,
  • Medicare,
  • seguro de salud,
  • cuotas sindicales, y
  • manutención de hijos y pensión alimenticia.

3)    Ingreso Neto por Semana
Para calcular esto, tiene que restar las deducciones totales obligatorias de la Parte (2) de su Ingresos Brutos Totales por Semana de la Parte (1).

II. GASTOS SEMANALES  No Deducidos del Pago

En esta sección tiene que proporcionar cada uno de sus gastos por semana.

Si sus facturas son mensuales, multiplique el monto mensual por 12 y divida el total por 52.

Si sus facturas son anuales, divida el monto anual por 52.

Consejo: En Otros, indique sus gastos tales como de lavandería, cortes de cabello, cigarros, limosna para la iglesia, gastos escolares de los niños, almuerzos escolares, juguetes, actividades de entretenimiento, alquiler de películas, artículos de tocador (como champú, solución de lentes de contacto, maquillaje) periódicos, estampillas, cuotas sindicales, etc.

Suma todos sus gastos en esta sección y ponga el total en Gastos Totales Semanales No Deducidos del Pago.

Importante: Si tiene más ingresos que gastos, eso quiere decir que tiene dinero “sobrante” después de haber pagado todas sus facturas. Si este no es el caso, piense qué otros gastos puede tener que se olvidó de anotar. Al listar todos sus gastos, la corte sabrá cuál es el monto de manutención necesario.


Las obligaciones son sus deudas. Tiene que indicar el monto que paga por semana para cada deuda. Indique cada persona o empresa a la que debe dinero. También incluya facturas impagas, como de servicios públicos, facturas de impuestos, tarjetas de crédito, cuentas médicas, tarjetas de tiendas y préstamos personales y estudiantiles. No incluya ningún gasto que ya indicó en la “Sección II. Gastos semanales no deducidos del pago”.

Acreedor es la persona o empresa a la que le debe dinero.

  • Marque la casilla Sole si la factura solo está a su nombre.
  • Marque la casilla Joint si el nombre de otra persona también está en la factura (por ej, su esposo/a).


Saldo adeudado es el monto que todavía debe.

Fecha en que se incurrió la deuda es la fecha en que tomó la deuda. Si no la sabe, indique el mes y/o el año. Si es una tarjeta de crédito, no hace falta que proporcione una fecha.

Pago semanal es el monto que paga por semana. Si no ha hecho pagos, escriba "0" en esta línea. Si ya incluyó sus pagos del préstamo del carro en Gastos semanales, nolos incluya aquí.

Consejo: Si sus gastos son mensuales, multiplique el monto mensual por 12 y divida el total por 52.

Si sus gastos son anuales, divida el monto anual por 52.

Linea (A): Obligaciones Totales (Saldo total de sus deudas)

Sume todos los montos de la columna Saldo Adeudado aquí.

Linea (B): Gastos Semanales Totales por Obligaciones

Sume todos los montos de la columna Pago Semanal aquí.


En esta sección, liste todos los bienes de valor que posee. Si no sabe exactamente su valor, haga una estimación. Activos incluyen

  • propiedades inmuebles;
  • vehículos;
  • cuentas bancarias;
  • acciones, bonos, y fondos mutuos;
  • seguro de vida;
  • planes de compensación diferida;
  • ingresos por negocios o auto empleo, y
  • otros bienes personales.

Valor total en efectivo de todos los activos.
Sume todos los montos de A-H y escriba ese número en la casilla sombreada:

V. Activos de menores.

Indique aquí las cuentas fiduciarias que tengan sus hijos.


Escriba el nombre y dirección de su compañía de seguro de salud y seguro dental, y los nombres de las personas cubiertas por sus pólizas.


Escriba los totales de las casillas sombreadas (I-IV) en esta sección.


¡No firme todavía! Tiene que firmar la solicitud delante de un secretario de la corte, notario público o abogado. Cuando firme este formulario, estará jurando que la información que proporcionó es correcta.

Haga 3 copias del formulario llenado y firmado.


  • enviar 1 copia a su cónyuge o al abogado de su cónyuge,
  • guardar 1 copia como comprobante, y
  • llevar 1 copia consigo a la audiencia de la corte.

¿Qué hago si no gano mucho y necesito ayuda para pagar mis honorarios de la corte?

Tendrá que llenar un formulario llamado Solicitud de exención de cuotas (Application for Waiver of Fees). Si necesita ayuda para llenar ese formulario, vea el folleto de ayuda legal, Guía de exenciones de cuotas.

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.