Main Content

Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut is open to serve you! Call 1-800-453-3320 or apply for legal help online. Are you having difficulty getting or keeping your health care? Tell us your story.

Education during the Covid-19 Crisis - Questions and Answers

April 2020

How long will schools be closed?  When will school end?

The Governor has said that schools must be closed until April 20, 2020.  There is a serious possibility that schools will remain closed for the remainder of this school year.

The Governor has waived the 180 school day requirement.  School (remote, interim learning) will end at the normal time, in mid-June.  The exact day varies by district.

Schools are closed. How will my child learn?

Every school district is developing its own distance-learning plan for its students.  These plans often include online learning, but may include written packets sent home. Many, but not all, districts are using Google Classroom as the underlying platform.  Some are having regular virtual classrooms on a set schedule throughout the day.

If you are in Hartford, check out for helpful information about using Google classroom, guidance about Hartford’s Continuity of Learning Plan, and HPS’ technology survey.  

My child does not have a computer/Chromebook/tablet. What can I do?

Many districts are providing Chromebooks to students.  Two big grant programs are underway in Connecticut, so hopefully more Chromebooks will become available.  Check your district’s website or call central office to see if Chromebooks are being distributed.  Do not call teachers, as they probably cannot check their messages while schools are closed.   If you have trouble getting through to someone, you could try emailing your child’s teacher or special education case manager.

In Hartford, Chromebooks are being distributed at meal distribution sites.  See

I do not have access to the internet.  What can I do?

Several internet companies are offering special programs to ensure access.  See

You might also be able to use a Comcast Hotspot. All hotspots are open to the public for free. A Chrome browser is recommended when opening the link, instead of Internet Explorer. You can insert a location in the upper left hand corner and press the Go button. The map will adjust to the location and show nearby hot spots. Students and parents can input their address to find the closest hot spot.  You can also try:

Phones using cellular data can act as Hotspots.

If you still can’t get internet service on your laptop, you could try using your smartphone as a hot spot to send internet to your laptop.   Not all phones can do this, but many can.  Go to Settings, then Personal Hotspot, and click on Allow Others to Join.  You should see a password. Follow the prompts.

Hotspots are NOT secure. Think twice before giving out confidential information when using a Hotspot. 

If I can’t get a device or internet access, what can I do to help my child learn?

You can request written learning packets from your school district. Most administration (principals’, superintendent’s office) are working remotely so they should be able to receive calls.  Parents likely will not be able to reach teachers by phone.  Try email instead.

For the short term, until you reach your district for regular written work, see learning packets on ,,  and

How can I supplement learning for my child, especially if I don’t have internet access?

Some ideas:

  • Practice any schoolwork that your child had before the school closure (flash cards, sight words, spelling, handwriting).
  • Read with your child and ask questions about the text.
  • Cook with your child and have your child half or double a recipe by doing the math. Have them read and follow the steps.
  • Give your child writing prompts: ask them to write down the night’s menu or steps to recipe. Have them write a letter to a friend, teacher or relative. Ask them to write a story. You can give them a creative prompt: “If I was 20 feet tall, I would…”
  • Eatch educational television shows:  e.g., PBS kids.

My child receives special education. How will the school provide all of their services?

Your child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) remains in effect, but services and even hours will likely need to change.  In person contact will not happen.

Every child should have an individualized interim learning plan.  Schools should maintain good communication with parents about this plan and how it is delivered.  Communication can be by phone, email, video, etc.

Education services will likely be provided by a mix of methods: phone calls, video conferences (e.g., Skype, FaceTime, What’s App), and online applications levelled to your child’s needs (some of which he may have already used in school).

Try to keep track of how much contact your child has with their special education teacher. 

Does the school need to change my child’s IEP to provide distance learning?

No.  The State Department of Education has stated that a Planning and Placement Team (PPT) meeting is not required if the only change is to reflect remote learning or a change of hours during the school closure.  This is because all children, including special education and regular education students, have these changes. 

If a PPT is necessary, the school may hold a PPT planning discussion by phone, video or email with the school to discuss how services will be provided.  Schools may ask for permission for certain staff to be excused (not attend) the PPT. For example, if you are only discussing the delivery of math instruction, the school may ask that the speech and language therapist not have to attend.

IEPs can also be changed by agreement without a PPT by signing a paper amendment to the PPT.  This form can be mailed to you or exchanged through email.

Will my child get related services (speech, occupational therapy, physical therapy, BCBA, counseling)? 

Your child should get related services though some distance model (phone, online, Skype, etc.).  Again, delivery and hours will likely change due to school closures.

Try to keep track of how many hours of each related service that your child receives while schools are closed. 

My child was in an out-of-district school when schools closed. Will my child get services?

Yes. State approved, out of district special education programs are all developing interim learning plans. If you have questions, contact your child’s special education case manager at the school and the district’s special education director.

Will the school make up lost special education or related service hours?

When schools reopen, a PPT should be convened to discuss whether “compensatory education hours” are required to make up for services.  If you have kept track of the time your child spent working remotely with the special education teacher or related service staff, this information will be helpful at the PPT once schools reopen. Some or all missed service hours may be delivered during school hours, after school, during vacations/breaks, or over the summer. 

What if my child doesn’t make progress toward goals and objectives during school closure?

When schools reopen, a PPT should be convened to discuss your child’s progress, or lack of progress or even regression in skills.  The PPT should consider whether “compensatory education hours” are owed, how much, and how and when they will be delivered. These service hours may be delivered after school starts during school hours, after school, during vacations/breaks, or over the summer.

My child was due for a PPT.  What will happen?

The State Department of Education has relaxed requirements for holding PPTs, annual review and triennial reviews.   The school may try to hold a phone or video PPT, but if not, the school must hold one as soon as schools reopen.  In most situations, PPTs will not be convened while schools are closed.

If your child was due for an annual review but the school does not hold one, your child’s last IEP will remain in effect until a PPT is held when school reopens.

My child was referred to special education before the closure and was supposed to be evaluated for eligibility.  What will happen?

Under the law, testing should be completed in 45 school days.  With schools closed, the State Department of Education has clearly stated that testing may be paused. These remote learning days will not count as “school days” toward the 45-day deadline.  Most testing will resume when schools reopen.  Schools may do some parts of the evaluation process for special education such as teacher or parent questionnaires, or record reviews during the school closure.

My child was pending expulsion when the school closed. What will happen?

While there has been no exact guidance from the state, depending on the severity of the incident, we expect that schools will proceed with expulsion proceedings when schools reopen. Students should still get some distance learning if they were referred to expulsion before the school closures or if they were expelled and were receiving alternative education services before the school closures.

¿Cuánto tiempo estarán las escuelas cerrada? ¿Cuándo el año escolar terminara?

A partir de hoy, El Gobernador ha dicho que las escuelas tendrán que estar cerradas has abril 20.  Existe una seria posibilidad de que las escuelas vuelva a estar cerrada por el resto de este año 

El gobernador ha renunciado al requisito de 180 días escolares. La escuela (aprendizaje interino a distancia) terminará a la hora normal, a mediados de junio. La serie de días exacta varía según el distrito.

Escuelas cerradas. Como mi hijo/a aprenderá?

Cada distrito escolar desarrolla su plan de aprendizaje de distancia para sus estudiantes. Los planes incluyen a menudo el aprendizaje on-line, pero pueden incluir paquetes escritos enviado a su casa. Muchos, pero no todos los distritos están utilizando “Google Classroom”, (Salón Google) como la plataforma. Algunos estarían conteniendo salones virtuales regulares en un horario establecido durante todo el día.

Algunos distritos ya han comenzado con el aprendizaje interino a distancia. Algunos comenzaron esta semana.  Hartford comenzara el 30 de marzo. Visite a para más información sobre cómo utilizar “Google Classroom, y guía sobre el plan de continuación de aprendizaje, y el cuestionario de Tecnología de las escuelas de HPS’. 

Mi niño no tiene una computadora/Chromebook/Tableta. ¿Qué puedo hacer?

Muchos distritos están proporcionando Chromebooks a los estudiantes. Dos grandes programas de becas están en marcha en Connecticut, por lo que espero que más Chromebooks estarán disponible. Chequee el web de su distrito o llame a la oficina central para ver si se están distribuyendo Chromebooks. No llame a los maestros, ya que es probable que no tengan acceso remoto a las llamadas. Si tiene problemas para llegar a alguien, podría intentar enviar un correo electrónico al maestro de su hijo o al administrador de casos de educación especial.

En Hartford, se está distribuyendo Chromebooks en lugares que también están distribuyendo comida. Ver a

No tengo acceso a Internet. ¿Qué puedo hacer?

Algunas compañías de Internet están ofreciendo programas especiales para asegurar acceso. Ver a

Es posible que también pueda utilizar un punto de acceso de Comcast.

Todos los puntos de acceso están abiertos al público de gratis. Por favor, utilice la siguiente conexión: 

Se recomienda un navegador Chrome para abrir el enlace, en lugar de Internet Explorer. Puede insertar una ubicación en la esquina superior izquierda y oprimir el botón “ir”.  El mapa se ajustará a la ubicación y vera los puntos de acceso cercanos. Los estudiantes y los padres pueden ingresar su dirección para encontrar el punto de acceso más cercano. También puede probar: 

Los teléfonos que utilizan datos celulares pueden actuar como Hotspots

Si todavía no puede obtener servicio de Internet en su computadora portátil, usted podría tratar de usar su teléfono smart como un punto de acceso (conexión) para enviar Internet a su computadora portátil. No todos los teléfonos pueden hacer esto, pero muchos pueden. Vaya a “settings”, a su “Hotspot”, o a su punto de acceso personal y oprima el botón para permitir que otros se unan. Ahí debe de ver una contraseña. Siga las indicaciones.

¿Si no puedo obtener un aparato o acceso al internet, que puedo hacer para ayudar a mi hijo con so aprendizaje?

Puede pedir un paquete de aprendizaje por escrito de su distrito. La mayoría de administración (principales, superintendentes de oficina) están trabajando remotamente por lo que debe ser capaz de recibir llamadas. Los padres no podrán comunicarse con los maestros por teléfono. Por lo tanto, intente un correo electrónico. 

Para el corto plazo, hasta que usted se comunique con su distrito para obtener los paquetes con las materias regulares, puede visitar a, y 

¿Cómo puedo suplementar el aprendizaje para mi hijo, en especial si no tengo acceso al internet? 

Algunas ideas:

  1. Practique cualquier trabajo de la escuela que su hijo ha hecho anteriormente antes que las escuelas cerraron (tarjetas flash, palabras a la vista, ortografía, escritura a mano)
  2. Leer con su hijo y haga preguntas sobre lo contenido 
  3. cocinar con su hijo y tener a su hijo mitad o doble una receta haciendo las matemáticas. Pídales que lean y sigan los pasos. 
  4. Dele a su hijo indicaciones de escritura: pídales que escriban el menú de la noche o pasos para recetas. Pídales que escriban una carta a un amigo, maestro o pariente. Pídales que escriban una historia. Puedes darles un mensaje creativo: "Si yo fuera 20 pies de altura, lo haría…",
  5. Vea programas educativos en la televisión: e.g., PBS Kids

Mi hijo recibe educación especial. ¿Cómo la escuela va a proveer todos sus servicios?

El Plan de Educación Individual (IEP) de su hijo permanecerá en efecto, pero los servicios y las horas tendrían que cambiar. Contacto en persona no va suceder.  

Cada niño debe de tener un Plan de Educación Individual (IEP). Las escuelas deben de mantener una buena comunicación con los padres sobre este plan y como se va a dar.  Comunicación puede ser por teléfono, correo electrónico, video, etc.

Los servicios educativos probablemente se programarán mediante una combinación de métodos: llamadas telefónicas. Videoconferencias (por ejemplo, Skype, FaceTime, What's App) y aplicaciones por computadora al nivel de las necesidades de su hijo (algunas materias serán las misma que su hijo a usado en la escuela). 

¿La escuela tendría que cambiar el Plan de Educación Individual (IEP) de mi hijo para proveerle aprendizaje de distancia? 

No. El Departamento de Educación del Estado ha dicho que las reuniones de planificaciones y colocación (PPT) no es requerido si solamente el cambio es para reflejar el aprendizaje remotamente o el cambio de horas durante el cerramiento de las escuelas. Esto es porque todos los niños, de educación especial e educación regular tienen estos cambios. 

Si una reunión de Planificación y Colocación es necesaria, la escuela puede programar una PPT por teléfono, video o correo electrónico con la escuela para hablar como los servicios serán proporcionado.  La escuela podría pedirle permiso para que algunas del personal sean excusados (no participar) a la PPT. Por ejemplo, si reunión es para hablar sobre las instrucciones de matemáticas, la escuela podría preguntarle que el terapista de habla y lenguaje no tiene que estar presente. 

Los IEP también pueden cambiarse por acuerdo sin un PPT firmando una enmienda en papel al PPT. Este formulario puede enviarse por correo o por correo electrónico.

¿Mi hijo recibirá servicios relacionados (¿habla, terapia ocupacional, fisioterapia, BCBA, consejería?

Su hijo debe obtener servicios relacionados a través de algún modelo de distancia (teléfono, en línea, Skype, etc.). Una vez más, las entregas y las horas probablemente cambiarán debido a los cierres de la escuela. 

Mi hijo estaba en una escuela fuera del distrito cuando cerraron las escuelas. ¿Mi hijo recibirá servicios?

Sí. Los programas estatales de educación especial fuera del distrito están desarrollando planes de aprendizaje provisionales. Si tiene preguntas, comuníquese con el gerente de casos de educación especial de su hijo en la escuela y con el director de educación especial del distrito.

¿La escuela perderá la educación especial o las horas de servicio relacionadas?

Cuando las escuelas reabren, se debe convocar un PPT para discutir si se requieren "horas de educación compensatorias" para compensar los servicios. Una vez que reabran, estas horas de servicio pueden ser entregadas durante el horario escolar, después de la escuela, durante las vacaciones / descansos, o durante el verano.

¿Qué sucede si mi hijo no progresa hacia metas y objetivos durante el cierre de la escuela?

Cuando las escuelas reabren, se debe convocar un PPT para discutir el progreso de su hijo, o la falta de progreso o incluso la egresión en las habilidades. El PPT debe considerar si se deben "horas de educación compensatoria", cuánto, y cómo y cuándo se entregarán. Estas horas de servicio pueden ser entregadas después de que la escuela comience durante el horario escolar, después de la escuela, durante las vacaciones / descansos, o durante el verano

A mi hijo se le debía un PPT. ¿Qué va a suceder?

El Departamento Estatal de Educación ha relajado los requisitos para mantener reviso anuales y trienales y PPT’s. La escuela puede tratar de sostener un PPT por teléfono o video, pero si no, la escuela debe tener uno tan pronto como las escuelas reabran. En la mayoría de las situaciones, la PPT no se convocará mientras las escuelas están cerradas.

Si se le debía un reviso anual pero la escuela no tendrá una, el último IEP de su hijo permanecerá en efectivo hasta que se programe una cuando la escuela reabra.

Mi hijo fue referido a educación especial antes del cierre y se suponía que debía ser evaluado para la elegibilidad. ¿Qué va a pasar?

Bajo la ley, las pruebas deben completarse en 45 días escolares. Con la escuela cerrada, el Departamento de Educación del Estado ha declarado claramente que las pruebas pueden estar en pausa. Estos días de aprendizaje remoto no contarán como "días escolares" para el plazo de 45 días. La mayoría de las pruebas se reanudarán cuando las escuelas reabran. Las escuelas pueden hacer algunas partes del proceso de evaluación para la educación especial, como cuestionarios de maestros o padres, o revisiones de registros durante el cierre de la escuela.

Mi hijo tenía una expulsión pendiente cuando la escuela cerró. ¿Qué va a pasar?

Ya que no ha habido una guía exacta del estado, dependiendo de la gravedad del incidente, esperamos que las escuelas procedan con los procedimientos de expulsión cuando las escuelas reabran.

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.