Main Content

Coronavirus: Get information about court access, work, benefits, housing, and more. Visit
CT Rent Assistance Program Opens Wednesday, July 15.
Get more information.
Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut is open to serve you! Call our legal aid hotline: 1-800-453-3320. You can also learn about our services and apply for legal help online.

Have You Been Ordered to Move Because Your Apartment Is Unsafe? A Renter’s Right to Relocation Assistance

February 2018

If a housing code office, health department, or other official ordered you to move because your apartment is not safe, you may be able to get help from your town. The law says that if your town or city tells you to get out of your apartment because code violations or a fire have made it unfit to live in, the town has to help you find another place to stay. There are different kinds of assistance that you might be able to receive:

  • Temporary emergency housing.
  • Help finding a new place to live. The new apartment must be safe, clean, and reasonably close to your workplace, and the rent must be affordable for you. The new apartment should not be in a less desirable location than the apartment you had to leave.
  • Some help with moving costs.
  • Storage of your belongings for up to six months in some cases.
  • The money you need to be able to rent a safe, comparable apartment, up to a maximum of $4,000.

The owner of the apartment you had to leave will have to repay the town for the relocation assistance they give you. To get relocation assistance, you should apply at your town or city hall. To get some parts of the assistance, you must have been living in the apartment for at least 90 days. You will probably be asked for papers such as bills, letters, or a lease to show that you were living in the apartment that was found to be unsafe. When you leave the apartment, be sure to take important paperwork, medications, some clothing and personal items, and anything else you have that is valuable or important to you.

If the city or town will not give you relocation assistance, or if you have any problems, contact Statewide Legal Services at 1-800-453-3320.

Do you have children?

Children and youth who become homeless can choose to continue school in the school they were attending before they became homeless, or they may attend school in the attendance area in which the child is actually living.

For more information, visit the State of Connecticut Department of Education page on education and homelessness.

Also see Connecticut's Uniform Relocation Assistance Act.

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.