Main Content

Looking for an apartment? Here are some tips…

Finding an apartment


A landlord CAN’T refuse to rent to you because

  • of your race, religion, or national origin;
  • you have children;
  • of your marital status;
  • of your sexual orientation or gender identity;
  • you have a disability; or
  • you get Section 8 or other assistance to help you pay the rent.

A landlord CAN refuse to rent to you because you

  • have bad credit;
  • were evicted from another apartment; or
  • have a criminal record;


A landlord might want to talk to your old landlords. Give the names of landlords who will say you were a good tenant.  If you can’t give the names of old landlords, ask other people who can say you will be a good tenant, like your boss.

Security deposit

A new landlord can ask for up to two months' rent for security. Landlords can also ask for the first months' rent before you move in. 

Remember! Pay with a check or money order and get a receipt.

Staying in your apartment

Paying your rent

You may be able to get help paying your rent if you are low income, disabled, or elderly. To find out more, dial 2-1-1 or the Dept. of Housing and Urban Development at 1-860-240-4800.

Remember! Always pay rent and security deposits with a check or money order and get a receipt.

If you have Section 8, don’t sign a new lease until section 8 inspects and passes the apartment.

Moving out

Before you move out, take pictures of the apartment and walk through it with your landlord so he or she can see you left it in good condition. Write your landlord a letter asking for your security deposit back. Put an address where your deposit should be sent, and keep a copy of the letter. In most cases, a landlord has 30 days to get your deposit back to you.

Security Deposit Guarantee Program

The security deposit guarantee program is a promise to your landlord that the state will pay for damage to your apartment caused while you’re living there. The state will pay your landlord up to twice the monthly rent for any damage.

You can get the security deposit guarantee if you have low income or you get any help from the state (HUSKY, SNAP, etc.) AND you are homeless or about to be homeless.

Remember! The landlord MUST take the guarantee as your security deposit.

It is illegal for a landlord to refuse to take the guarantee as your security deposit, or to ask you for extra money. 

How to apply

  • Bring proof of income (a letter from DSS, paystubs or a bank statement, or a social security statement).
  • Bring written proof that you’re homeless or about to be homeless (a notice from your landlord or the court telling you to move out, for example, or a letter from a shelter).
  • Call 2-1-1 to ask where to apply.

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.