Main Content

Home Modifications, Repairs, and Maintenance

Home Modifications

There are low-interest loans and some grant money which allow seniors to modify their homes to make them more safe and accessible. Modifications can include installing ramps, stair glides, grab bars in bathrooms, widening doorways, lowering counter heights. Often program eligibility is based upon income. Call the Infoline at 211 for information on how to contact your local Independent Living Center or call (860) 563-6011 for home remodeling information from the Corporation for Independent Living.

Repair and Maintenance

In rural areas the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture’s "Rural Development Housing and Community Facilities Programs" provides loans and grants to very low-income homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their dwellings or to remove health and safety hazards. Loans are at 1% interest and can be paid back over a 20-year period. For more information click here.

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.