Main Content

Coronavirus: Get information about court access, work, benefits, housing, and more. Visit
CT Rent Assistance Program Opens Wednesday, July 15.
Get more information.
Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut is open to serve you! Call our legal aid hotline: 1-800-453-3320. You can also learn about our services and apply for legal help online.

Taking an Employer to Small Claims Court

Picture of court information deskIf you weren’t paid for time you spent working, you can use this guide to take an employer to Small Claims Court. We also have a guide to help you file a complaint with the Connecticut Labor Department. This video can give you information to help you decide which of these two methods might work best for you.

The first thing you should do is ask your employer for your back pay.

If you are still not paid, try to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible. If you have very low income and need legal help, call Statewide Legal Services at 860-344-0380 (Central CT) or 1-800-453-3320 (all other areas in Connecticut).

Important: There are time limits on how long you can wait to try to get back your unpaid wages, so try to get legal advice or take legal action right away.

Know Your Rights

7. Get ready for your court hearing

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.

Get help from 2-1-1

Dial 2-1-1 or go to for help with services in your community.