Main Content

Resident Advocacy Information

June 2018

How do I choose a nursing home?

Your Guide to Choosing a Nursing Home or Other Long Term Services and Supports published by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services is a good place to start. This guide includes a nursing home check list you can use when you visit a nursing home to help you decide if it suits your needs. It is also available in Spanish.

A list of licensed Connecticut nursing homes can be found on the Department of Public Health’s website.

Another good resource is the book, Nursing Homes: Getting Good Care There (2nd Ed.) by Sarah Greene Burger, Virginia Fraser, Sara Hunt, and Barbara Frank. Information on how to purchase this book can be found on the Consumer Voices’ publication page.

Where can I find information about a particular nursing home?

Visit Nursing Home Compare, the federal government's web site that shows important quality indicators about every nursing home in the nation that accepts Medicaid or Medicare payments. Nursing Home Compare features a five-star rating system for nursing homes based on health inspections, staffing, and quality of resident care measures.

Also, visit the Member of the Family website, which provides information about Medicare/Medicaid-certified nursing homes, including reports based on recent government surveys. This website has a National Watch List of nursing homes cited for violations or that have had substantiated complaints made against them.

My loved-one is in a nursing home in Connecticut. Who do I call if I need help dealing with the nursing home or have a complaint?

The Office of the Long-Term Care Ombudsman has professional and volunteer advocates available to help nursing home residents deal with problems and complaints in the nursing home. Visit this web site for contact information and telephone numbers for the ombudsman in your region.  For more information about the Ombudsman program, visit the National Long Term Care Ombudsman Resource Center.  

You may also file a complaint about poor health care with the Department of Public Health. (See Complaints for more information.)

You can also contact your local legal services organization for assistance.

Where can I find more information about nursing home advocacy issues in general?

Visit the National Consumer Voice for Quality Long Term Care web site for information on the latest issues affecting nursing home residents.
The Consumer Voice is the only national organization solely dedicated to improving the quality of care and quality of life for nursing home residents.

The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long Term Care is a non-profit organization, so please consider becoming a member or making a donation in memory or in honor of a nursing home resident loved-one.

Also, the Justice in Aging website contains several articles about nursing home residents' rights and other long-term care issues.

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.