Main Content

Protecting Your Children If You are Detained or Deported

Protecting Your Children If You are Detained or Deported

February 2017

How can I protect my children if I am detained or deported?

If you think you could be detained or deported, making a plan for someone to care for your children can help you feel calmer:

  • Memorize important phone numbers.
  • Make copies of your legal documents, such as your passport or birth certificate. Tell your family members where you keep them.
  • Make arrangements for a trusted adult to pick up or care for your children in an emergency.
  • Fill out the legal forms to name a guardian for your child in case you are detained.

Look at the Connecticut Family Preparedness Plan toolkit developed by the State of Connecticut.

You can arrange ahead of time for a person to automatically be responsible for your children in case you are detained or deported. This person, called a standby guardian, should be trustworthy, caring, and able to take care of your children in every way. A standby guardian only makes decisions for your children if you are not available.

Standby guardianship takes effect as soon as you are detained. It lasts for one year or until you take charge of your child again—whichever happens first. It can be reversed by you at any time.

You do not need to go to court to name someone as a standby guardian. You can name a standby guardian by filling out some simple forms, as long as the other parent of your child

  • agrees to the standby guardianship, or
  • has lost their parental rights by a court order, or
  • has died.

There are other guardianship options in Connecticut if standby guardianship won’t work for you. Call legal aid to see if a lawyer can help you. See Where to get help, below.

What does a standby guardian do?

A standby guardian

  • cares for your child;
  • gets medical care for your child;
  • gives your child food, clothing, and shelter; and
  • makes sure your child goes to school.

A standby guardian can apply for benefits for your child.

Medical Insurance
The new guardian must make sure your child gets medical care. If your child is a U.S. citizen and gets Husky medical insurance, the child’s coverage will usually continue when the new guardianship starts.

The guardian can make all education decisions for your child. Your child will usually go to school in the district where the guardian lives, although there are some exceptions.

Cash Assistance (TFA)
Your child may be able to get cash assistance even if the guardian is not eligible. The guardian can apply for your child.

Social Security
If your child gets Social Security disability payments, those will continue. The guardian must fill out papers with Social Security in order to get the money for your child.

Food Stamps
If the guardian qualifies for food stamps, then the guardian can apply to add your child to the food stamp household.

How do I name a standby guardian for my child?

You will have to fill out a few simple forms. The forms need to be witnessed, but they don’t have to be notarized and you don’t have to go to court. There is no cost to fill out the forms.

1. Fill out the form, Designation of Standby Guardian, on page 11 of this packet of forms.

  • Sign the form in front of two witnesses. Note: The standby guardian cannot also be one of the witnesses.
  • Each of the witnesses should sign under Witnesses to Signature of Parent on page 12.

2. Have the other parent sign under Consenting Parent on page 13 in front of two witnesses. If your children have different parents, you'll need a separate form for each parent.

  • Each of the witnesses should sign under Witnesses to Signature of Consenting Parent on page 13.

3. Ask the standby guardian to put the completed forms in a safe place.

4. If you are detained or deported, the standby guardian should fill out the form on page 14 called Statement that Designation of Standby Guardian is in Effect. This is the form they will need to show as proof that they are your child’s guardian. This form does not need to be filed in court. It is good for one year or whenever you take back care of your child – whichever comes first.


Standby Guardianship forms - English | Spanish

Where can I get help?

Hartford County:
Greater Hartford Legal Aid: 860-541-5000

New Haven County:
New Haven Legal Assistance: 203-946-4811

All other areas of Connecticut:
Connecticut Legal Services immigration hotline: 800-798-0671

¿Cómo puedo proteger a mis hijos si soy detenido o deportado?

Si usted cree que puede ser detenido o deportado, un plan le puede ayudar a sentirse más tranquilo. Aprenda de memoria los números de teléfonos importantes.

  • Haga copias de sus documentos legales como su pasaporte o certificado de nacimiento. Infórmale a sus familiares donde están estos documentos.
  • Haga los arreglos para que un adulto de confianza recoja o cuide a sus hijos en caso de emergencia.
  • Complete los formularios legales para nombrar un tutor legal para su hijo(a) si acaso sea detenido.

Plan De Preparación Familiar

Usted puede hacer los arreglos con anticipación para que una persona sea responsable de sus hijos si acaso sea detenido o deportado. Esta persona, llamada tutor legal de reserva, debe ser alguien de confianza, de buen carácter, y con la capacidad de cuidar a su hijo(a) de todas formas. Un tutor legal de reserva solamente tomará decisiones para sus hijos si usted no está disponible.

La tutoría legal de reserva toma efecto tan pronto usted es detenido. Dura por un año o hasta que usted tome la carga de su hijo(a) nuevamente, cualquiera que sea más corto. Puede ser revocado por usted en cualquier momento.

Usted no tiene que ir a la corte para nombrar a una persona como tutor legal de reserva. Usted puede designar un tutor legal de reserva completando unos formularios sencillos, siempre y cuando el otro padre de su(s) hijo(s):

  • Está de acuerdo con la tutoría legal de reserva, o
  • Ha perdido sus derechos paterno filiales por orden de la corte, o
  • Ha fallecido.

Hay otras opciones de tutoría legal en el estado de Connecticut si la tutoría legal de reserva no funcionará para usted. Llame a la oficina de asistencia legal para verificar si un abogado puede ayudarle. Vea Donde Puedo Buscar Ayuda, más abajo.

¿Qué hace un tutor legal de reserva?

Un tutor legal de reserva:

  • Cuida a su hijo(s);
  • Busca ayuda médica para su hijo(a);
  • Provee alimento, ropa y albergue para su hijo(s); y
  • Asegura que su(s) hijo(s) asistan a la escuela.

Un tutor legal de reserva puede solicitar beneficios para su hijo(s).

Seguro Médico
El nuevo tutor legal tendrá que asegurarse que su hijo(a) reciba cuidado médico. Si su hijo(a) es un ciudadano americano y recibe seguro médico de Husky, esa cobertura continuará cuando comience la nueva tutoría legal.

El tutor legal puede tomar todas las decisiones sobre la educación de su hijo(a). Su hijo(a) tiene que asistir a la escuela en el distrito donde el o ella vive, aunque existen algunas excepciones.

Asistencia Monetaria (Asistencia Temporera a Familias—TFA)
Su hijo(a) puede rellenar los requisitos para asistencia monetaria aun si el tutor legal no puede. El tutor legal puede solicitar la asistencia para su hijo(a).

Seguro Social
Si su hijo(a) recibe pagos de incapacidad de seguro social, los mismos continuarán. El tutor legal tiene que pedir que sea nombrado obtener el dinero para su hijo(a).

Cupones de Alimento
Si el tutor legal rellena los requisitos para cupones de alimento, él/ella puede pedir que sea se añada a su hijo(a) al hogar que recibe cupones de alimento.

¿Cómo designo a un tutor legal de reserva para mi hijo(a)?

Hay unos formularios sencillos que tiene que completar. No hay costo alguno para completar los formularios. Los formularios tienen que ser firmados por testigos, pero no tienen que ser notarizados y no tiene que llevarlos a la corte.

1. Complete el formulario, Designación de Tutor Legal de Reserva, en la página 11 de este paquete de documentos.

  • Firme el formulario en presencia de dos testigos. Nota: El tutor legal de reserva no puede ser también uno de los testigos.
  • Cada uno de los testigos debe firmar bajo Testigos de la Firma del Padre en la página 12.

2. El otro padre tiene que firmar bajo Consentimiento del otro Padre en la página 13 en presencia de dos testigos.

  • Cada uno de los testigos debe firmar bajo Testigos de la Firma del Consentimiento del otro Padre en la página 13.

3. Pídele al tutor legal de reserva que guarde los formularios completados en un lugar seguro.

4. Si usted es detenido o deportado, el tutor legal de reserva debe completar el formulario en la página 14 llamado Declaración que la Designación de Tutor Legal de Reserva está en Vigor. Esto es el formulario que el tutor necesitará como prueba que él/ella es el tutor legal de su(s) hijo(s). Este formulario no tiene que ser sometido a la corte. Es válido por un (1) año o hasta que usted tome la carga de su hijo(a) nuevamente, cual de los dos sea más corto.


Español | Inglés

¿Dónde puedo buscar ayuda?

Condado de Hartford:
Asistencia Legal del área de Hartford: 860-541-5000

Condado de New Haven:
Asistencia Legal de New Haven: 203-946-4811

Todas las otras áreas de Connecticut:
Servicios Legales de Connecticut línea de ayuda de inmigración: 800-798-0671

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.

Get help from 2-1-1

Dial 2-1-1 or go to for help with services in your community.

Tell us what you think

Was this website helpful? Take a quick survey.

Are you going to court without a lawyer?

Practice going to court with our legal game.