Main Content

Types of Housing for Renters

Last updated: February 2013

Many seniors are already renters. Some seniors sell their homes and move into rental units because they no longer want to, or can no longer maintain their own homes. Some seniors may need help paying the rent. Outlined below are some types of housing and housing programs for seniors who need help paying the rent.

Senior or Elderly Housing

The term most often used for subsidized housing or the elderly is called "senior" or "elderly housing" or "elderly and disabled housing." There are, however several types of subsidized housing in addition to elderly housing for which seniors may qualify.

Nearly all subsidized housing eligibility is based upon income. Eligibility for elderly housing is usually based upon both age and income. Many subsidized programs have rents which are roughly calculated at 30% of a person’s income. Such housing can be subsidized in three different ways; by the State, by the Federal Government, or privately (usually with help from the Federal Government).

In Connecticut most town have housing set aside as elderly housing. This type of housing usually consists of small apartments which are either efficiency or one-bedroom units. Often there are waiting lists to get into this type of housing. The entity most often in charge of renting and maintaining this housing is called a Housing Authority. Many towns have Housing Authorities. View a list of Connecticut's Housing Authorities in an Excel spread sheet.


/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Department of Agriculture Subsidized Housing

In addition to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the U.S. Department of Agriculture provides funding for housing. Go the following site for a listing of housing funded by the Department of Agriculture in your area:


Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV)

Housing Authorities often offer other types of subsidized housing which are also available Housing Choice Voucher (HVC) Program" (Formerly "Section 8") provides vouchers which can be taken to private landlords, giving program participants many types of housing options. These vouchers may also be portable to any state after one-year of residency in the area where the voucher is obtained. Due to the overwhelming shortage of affordable housing vouchers, however, HCV availability is extremely limited and there are usually long waiting lists.

Private, Subsidized Housing

At one time the Federal government offered incentives to developers to build subsidized housing for low income individuals. Many towns and cities in Connecticut still have some of this housing available but, again, the demand is high and there are usually waiting lists.

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.