Main Content

Are your SNAP benefits being lowered or cut off?

March 2019

If you disagree with a decision DSS has made about your SNAP (food stamps), you can appeal and ask for a hearing in writing or by phone. (If you appeal by phone, it's best to also appeal in writing.)

The DSS hearing office must get your appeal within 90 days. If you want to keep your benefits during the appeal, your appeal must be received within 10 days of the date the notice was mailed.

Even if you appeal within 10 days, DSS cannot continue SNAP benefits beyond the end of your most recent certification period.

You can mail or fax the written hearing request to:

Fair Hearing Unit, Department of Social Services
55 Farmington Avenue
Hartford, CT 06105-3724
Phone: 1-800-462-0134
Fax: 860-424-4923

If you have very low income, you may be able to get help from Legal Aid.

Apply for Legal Help

If you have very low income, you may be able to get help from legal aid. You can apply online using a desktop computer. Or call the Statewide Legal Services hotline at 1-800-453-3320 (860-344-0380 from Central CT) Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 or between 1:00 and 2:00 p.m.

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.