Main Content

Coronavirus: Get information about court access, work, benefits, housing, and more. Visit
Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut is open to serve you! Call our legal aid hotline: 1-800-453-3320. You can also learn about our services and apply for legal help online.

Special Education: Protecting Your Child, Protecting Your Rights

October 2016

If you think your child needs special education services, this guide can help you have your child evaluated to see what services are needed. You will also learn how to help make sure your child gets the services he or she needs to do well in school.

Si usted cree que su niño necesita servicios de educación especial, esta guía le puede ayudar para que su hijo sea evaluado para determinar qué servicios son necesarios. También aprenderá como asegurarse de que su niño reciba los servicios que él o ella necesita para hacer bien en la escuela.

A Parent's Guide to Special Education in Connecticut

This guide provides information for parents, guardians, and other family members about laws, regulations, and policies affecting special education programs and services.

By: Connecticut State Department of Education, Bureau of Special Education

Special Education: I Can't Learn. What Can I Do?

There are a lot of students who feel frustrated in school. Students who have tried but are still not learning might need special education services. Special education means an education plan written just for the student so that he or she can learn.

By: Center for Children's Advocacy

Starting College: Tips for Special Education and Disabled Students

Illustration of the pamphlet By: Center for Children's Advocacy

Young people with learning, mental health, and/or physical disabilities have the same rights to access college programs as their non-disabled peers.

This acticle gives tips on starting college off on the right fit if the student is disabled and needs special education.

What is special education?

Sample letters

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.

Get help from 2-1-1

Dial 2-1-1 or go to for help with services in your community.