Main Content

Appealing an Unemployment Decision to Superior Court

Welcome! If the Connecticut Department of Labor Board of Review made a decision about your unemployment case and you think their decision was wrong, this guide can help you appeal to Connecticut’s Superior Court.

Si la Junta de Revisión del Departamento del Trabajo de Connecticut tomó una decisión sobre su caso y cree que esa decisión fue equivocada, esta clase puede ayudarle a apelar a la Corte Superior de Connecticut.

Step 1: Tell the Board of Review you don’t agree with their decision

First you must tell the Board of Review that you don't agree with their decision and that you are appealing. Once the Board gets your appeal, they will send it to the correct courthouse along with the record of your case.  

You must also ask for extra time so you can get a written record (also called a transcript) of your Appeals Referee Hearing. 

Remember, you only have 21 days to file an appeal.

You can use our guided interview to write an appeal letter that you can fax, mail, or bring to the Board of Review.

sample of the formOnce you send in your appeal, you will get a notice back from the Board (view a sample of what that notice will look like).

You do not have to do anything until you get this notice.  You should get it about two weeks after you tell the Board you are appealing. If you do not get the notice within four weeks, call the Board of Review at 860-566-3045 and ask about your appeal.  

When you get the notice back from the Board, you are ready for Step 2.

Can the court help me?

Step 2: Get the written record of your Appeals Referee Hearing

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.

Get help from 2-1-1

Dial 2-1-1 or go to for help with services in your community.

Tell us what you think

Was this website helpful? Take a quick survey.