Nursing Homes

Admissions and Waiting Lists How do I apply for admission to a nursing home? Nursing homes must provide application forms to anyone asking for one. Obtain applications for the homes you are interested in, complete them and return them to the home.
This article answers these questions and more: Who pays for a nursing home bed when the resident is in the hospital? Will Medicare or Medicaid pay the facility to reserve my bed when I am temporarily absent from the facility? What are the laws on bed reservation?
This article discusses nursing home complaint procedures.
What are feeding assistants? Feeding assistants are nursing home employees who assist in the oral feeding of residents without complicated feeding problems. They are not nurses or certified nurse aides and they are not counted in any resident to nurse staffing ratios.
Are you worried about paying for a very long stay in a nursing home? Medicaid is a federal health insurance program that might help pay for your care. Read this to find out who can get Medicaid, what it pays for, how to apply, what happens to your wife or husband who still lives at home, and more.
Money Follows the Person is a program for nursing home residents who want to live more independently in the community.
This workbook was developed by the Connecticut Legal Rights Project to help you prepare a legal document called an advance directive. An advance directive allows you to influence your health care treatment when you are unable to do so.
How do I go about choosing a nursing home?
OverviewConnecticut state law and federal law prohibit forced room-to-room transfers (also referred to as "intra-facility transfers") with very few exceptions.
OverviewNursing homes are generally prohibited from moving residents. They can transfer or discharge residents from the home only for certain reasons and, even then, only when they follow specified procedures.
The Connecticut Commission on Aging is a non-partisan state agency of the CT General Assembly.They are committed to promoting policies that enhance the lives of the present and future generations of older adults.
State Unit on Aging Main office, 860-424-5274 Toll Free (in State), 1-866-218-6631 Application forms by mail1-800-609-5627 Alternate Care Unit1-800-445-5394860-424-4904 CHOICES Program860-424-5322 Connecticut Medicare Assignment Program (...
Connecticut Long Term Care Ombudsman Program protects and promotes the rights and quality of life for residents of skilled nursing facilities, residential care homes and managed residential care communities (also known as assisted living...
This article provides elderly living in Connecticut with a list of state-funded and/or affiliated organizations and service providers. Covers the Food Stamp Program (now known as SNAP), adult day care, homecare, the Connecticut...
This web site contains links to Connecticut and federal statutes, regulations, and cases important to Elder Law -- maintained by Attorney Lisa Nachmias Davis and a must for any Connecticut Elder Law Attorney.