Children's Rights

If you want to live on your own and make your own decisions, emancipation law may help you. Emancipation means that you are no longer under your parents' control. It is a big decision no matter what your reasons are. Read this to learn: your options, things to think about, and more.
Your girlfriend is pregnant. The State of Connecticut has laws about your situation.
You may be able to go to court and get your police records, court records, and school discipline records erased.
TFA is Temporary Family Assistance. It’s usually called "welfare" or "state." TFA is Connecticut’s cash assistance program for low-income parents, including teenage parents, and their children.
You have rights in detention. This book tells you about your legal rights and about what the detention center and others have to do to keep you safe.
Were you kicked out of your house? Did you run away? Do you live in a shelter or temporarily with a friend? Did your family lose their housing?
Families Change provides age-appropriate information to help kids, teens, and parents deal with a family breakup such as a divorce or separation. It was written with input from counselors, psychologists, lawyers, parents, teens, and kids.
Can’t agree on custody or visitation or are you worried your child is not safe? You might want to ask for a lawyer for your child. Read this to learn: why your child might need a lawyer, how to ask for one, what the lawyer would do to find a solution, who pays, and more.
As a teen in DCF care, there’s a lot for you to know so you can make good decisions for yourself and get what you want.If you are committed to DCF, there are programs that can help you learn to live on your own.
If you are a minor and don’t have a permanent place to stay, and your parent, guardian or grandparent won’t help you, a new law can help you.
What are my rights? How can I become a legal permament resident?
By: The Center for Children's Advocacy
This book tells you what your legal rights are while you are involved with DCF and the foster care system.
Are you in a relationship with someone who tries to control you, stalks you, threatens you or physically hurts you?
If you are bullied or discriminated against because of your sexual orientation or gender expression, there are laws to protect you.
Emancipation is one option when things are bad at home, but it’s not the only option.
Statutory rape is a crime called sexual assault.
There are rules to make schools a safe place to learn. Read this to learn about: where your child can go to school, missing school, discipline, bullying, and more.
2-1-1 is a free service that can help you with many different kinds of problems, including substance abuse, domestic violence, suicide prevention, financial problems, and more. It is available 24 hours a day and 365 days per year.
Here is a guide produced by the Connecticut Department of Education to help parents and guardians get answers to their questions about bullying.  
Mission is to promote and protect the legal rights and interests of poor children who are dependent upon the judicial, child welfare, health and mental health, education, and juvenile justice systems for their care.
Provides indigent children with experienced lawyers who give them a voice in family court. Also provides information in legal matters involving children and advocates in support of legislative policies that advance the well being and best...
Working together with families and communities to improve child safety, ensure that more children have permanent families, and advance the overall well-being of children is the central focus of the Department of Children and Families (DCF).
Mission is to:Meet basic needs of food, shelter, economic support and health care.Promote and support the choice to live with dignity in one's own home and community.Promote and support the achievement of economic viability in the...
This office provides the opportunity for applicants and recipients of DSS programs to request a hearing to contest actions taken by DSS.
To find a location, go to, text "CTMeals" to 877-877, or dial 2-1-1.
This page tells you the steps you must take the change the gender marker on your birth certificate in Connecticut.
If you are pregnant or have a child that's less than a year old, you can sign up for this service, which will send you important information and reminders to improve your health and the health of your baby.
The Appearance form tells the court that you plan to participate in the case and that you should get a notice whenever something happens in the case. This form is also used to tell the court when you have changed your address.Help text for...
By: The Center for Children's Advocacy