Main Content

SSI Overpayments: Did you get a Notice of Overpayment from Social Security?

December 2015

This article is for people who got a Notice of Overpayment from the Social Security Administration (SSA). A Notice of Overpayment is a letter that says you owe Social Security money. The notice might say that Social Security is going to take some of your SSI check to repay what you owe.

If the Notice of Overpayment is about an SSDI overpayment, you should look at the legal aid article on SSDI Overpayments instead.

This article can help you if all of these are true:

  • you get SSI;
  • Social Security sent you a Notice of Overpayment; and
  • you think something on the noticeis wrong or you can’t afford to pay back the money.

Do not ignore the notice. If you think there is a mistake, contact Social Security right away and ask for an appeal form.

What can cause an overpayment?

You will have an overpayment if Social Security pays you too much money because they have the wrong information or not enough information about you. It is your job to make sure Social Security has the right information about you and that they get that information on time. Here are some things that can cause an overpayment:

  • You don’t let Social Security know right away when you start working.
  • You don’t let Social Security know right away each time your earnings change.
  • You inform Social Security about changes, but they don’t put the information into their computer system.
  • You earn more money than Social Security allows while you are collecting SSI benefits.
  • You get married or your spouse moves in or out, but you don’t tell Social Security right away.
  • You let someone put their vehicle, house, or money in your name.
  • You have a bank account with more than just your name on it.
  • You are in jail for more than a month.
  • You are not disabled anymore but you keep getting benefits.
  • You do not report a change (such as your address or living situation) to Social Security on time.
  • You have more resources than are allowed.*
  • You don’t inform Social Security right away about other money that comes into your household. For example:
    • Your spouse gets a job.
    • You get workers’ compensation or child support.
    • You get money from a court case.
    • Someone pays rent or heating bills for you.
    • You get a loan without careful paperwork about repaying it.

*Social Security says I am over the resource limit. What does that mean?

Social Security has a limit on the things you are allowed to own while you are on the SSI program. The things you own are called resources.

These things don’t count as resources for SSI:

  • one vehicle that you use,
  • a house you own and live in, and
  • personal belongings that you use.

Resources that do count are things like

  • cash and bank accounts,
  • land or a house you don’t live in,
  • extra vehicles,
  • antiques or jewelry you have because of their cash value, and
  • things that belong to your spouse but are counted towards you (also called deemed resources).

The limit on resources that count for SSI is $2,000 for one person. That means you cannot have more than $2,000 in resources. You won’t qualify for SSI if your resources are too high when you apply.

If you get too many resources after you have been getting SSI, Social Security will say you were not eligible for the SSI program for the months when your resources were too high. You will have an overpayment for those months, and you may be cut off from the SSI program. 

You can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or go to to find out what things you or your spouse are allowed to have when you are on SSI.

Social Security says I have unreported income. What does that mean?

Unreported income means that you worked or had other money come into your household but you did not inform Social Security (or they don't have any record that you informed them on time). 

  • Social Security counts income for the month you receive the money, not the month you earned it.
  • Even if you work for only a short time, you must let Social Security know that you worked.
  • You must let Social Security know each time the money you get in a month goes up or down. 

You must report new income or changes in your income by the 10th of the next month.

If you had income or your income changed during this month:

You must tell Social Security about that income no later than this date:


February 10


March 10


April 10


May 10


June 10


July 10


August 10


September 10


October 10


November 10


December 10


January 10


To prove that you told Social Security on time about changes (in your income, resources, address, or household), this is what you should do:

  • Write a letter to Social Security that explains what changed. Sign and date the letter. Make a copy of the letter and keep the copy for yourself.
  • Make copies of any proof you have, such as paystubs, any checks you got, or something showing your new address, and include that proof with the letter.
  • Send the original letter by certified mail with a return receipt requested. You must do this at the post office window. Keep the receipt from the post office in a safe place.
  • Keep the return receipt, which is the signed post card that comes back to you in the mail showing that Social Security got your letter.

Social Security encourages people on SSI to work by not counting all of the money they earn against their SSI. The rules are complicated. Be sure to report all your earnings right away. Also report any expenses you run up in order to work that are caused by your disability.

You should talk to a certified work counselor for advice about working while on SSI.

You may find general information by going to Social Security’s website at

What can I do if there is an overpayment?

If you get a Notice of Overpayment, there are four things you can do:

  • Ask for reconsideration of the overpayment if you don’t think you were overpaid or you think the amount is wrong. It is important to ask for reconsideration quickly – within 35 days of the date of the overpayment notice, if possible.
  • Ask for a waiver if you agree that you were overpaid but you want to be excused from paying the money back.
  • Ask for lower amounts to be taken out of your SSI check. You can use the budget part of the waiver form to show your financial hardship.
  • Ask for expedited reinstatement. If Social Security removes you from the SSI program completely for your earnings but you are so disabled now that you cannot work at all (or you can’t work more than a couple of hours at minimum wage), you can ask for expedited reinstatement within 60 months. You should get up to six months of SSI while Social Security decides if you are still disabled. If you don’t get expedited reinstatement, you will need to reapply for SSI.

What are the time limits?

If you ask for reconsideration within 35 days of the date on the notice, Social Security won’t take money out of your SSI check while they are making a decision about your reconsideration request.

You must ask for reconsideration within 65 days of the date on the notice. If you ask within 65 days, Social Security should stop taking money out of your SSI check until they make a decision about your request.

If you have a good reason for asking for reconsideration after 65 days, explain your reasons to Social Security and send the form in late with your reasons on it.

You can ask for a waiver at any time. Asking for a waiver will also stop Social Security from taking money out of your SSI check while they are making a decision about your waiver request. You may want to wait to ask for a waiver until you find out if your reconsideration is denied.

What if I got a termination notice?

Sometimes when people have an overpayment, they also get a Notice of Termination, which is a notice saying your benefits will end. If you get one of these notices, you should contact Social Security to appeal the termination right away.

If you appeal a termination within 15 days of the date of the notice, your benefits should continue while Social Security makes a decision.

  • To keep getting your benefits, you must file two forms with Social Security: an appeal form and SSA Form 795.

If you miss the 15-day deadline, you can still appeal up to 65 days from the date of the termination notice.

If you miss the 65-day deadline but you have a good reason for appealing late, explain your reasons to Social Security and file the appeal form late.

How to ask for reconsideration

To ask for reconsideration, fill out and file Form SSA-561-U2 with Social Security.  On the form, explain

  • why you think you have not been overpaid, or
  • why you think the amount is wrong.

Attach a copy of your proof that you reported the income, resources, or change in your household or living arrangements. Save a copy of your proof for yourself.

On the form, you will have to say how you want the case to be handled. You can ask for a case review, an informal conference, or a formal conference.

  • A case review means a Social Security worker will look at your file again and decide if you have to pay back the money.
  • In an informal conference, you meet with a Social Security worker to go over your file. You’ll be able to explain what happened, and you can give Social Security new information about your situation. You can bring other people with you to help explain your case.
  • A formal conference is more like a court hearing. You’ll present your case, and you can bring other people with you to help explain your case.

If your request for reconsideration is denied

If Social Security denies your request for reconsideration, you can ask for a hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). You must ask for the hearing within 65 days from the date of the reconsideration denial letter. Asking for an ALJ hearing will not stop Social Security from taking some or all of your check to repay what you owe.

If you haven’t requested a waiver yet, you might want to now. 

How to ask for a waiver

To ask for a waiver, fill out and file Form SSA-632-BK with Social Security. This form is for asking Social Security to

  • not collect (or waive) the money,
  • make you pay back only some of the money (called a compromise), or
  • set up a payment plan that you can afford.

To be granted a waiver, Social Security must decide that the overpayment was not your fault and that

  • collecting the money would defeat the purpose of the SSI program, or
  • be unfair.

You have a right to a personal conference before a decision is made about your waiver request. You have the right to look at your file with a Social Security worker who can answer your questions up to five days before the conference. You also have the right

  • to bring someone with you to the conference,
  • to testify yourself,
  • to ask questions, and
  • to show proof about the things you say.

To support your waiver request, you must show you did your best (considering your medical and any language or understanding problems)

  • to give Social Security all the information it needed on time,
  • to tell the truth, and
  • to give back any payments that you should have known were wrong.

Tell Social Security if you made decisions based on what Social Security told you (decisions you would not have made otherwise). Also tell them if you get any other public benefits, such as cash assistance for a child or a grandchild. Let Social Security know your budget and if you have any unusual expenses. If Social Security denies your waiver request, it will use this information to decide how much they will take from your check each month.

If your waiver request is denied

If your waiverrequest is denied, you will need to appeal for a reconsideration of the waiver denial. This is the next step whether you had a personal conference or not. You have 65 days from the date of the denial notice to ask for reconsideration of the waiver denial.

If the reconsideration of the wavier denial is denied, you have 65 days from the date of the denial notice to ask for a hearing in front of an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ).  Asking for an ALJ hearing on your waiver request will not stop Social Security from taking some or all of your check to repay what you owe.

If you are denied both reconsideration and a waiver

If you are denied both reconsideration and a waiver (with or without a personal conference), Social Security can begin taking money from your check. They will not take your whole SSI check. The most they can take each month is 10% of your total monthly income. But if you show on your budget that you cannot meet your current ordinary and necessary living expenses, Social Security can take as little as $1 per month to repay the overpayment.

Because overpayment law is complicated and appeals can be confusing, it is best to talk with a lawyer as soon as you can. 

If you have very low income, call the Statewide Legal Services hotline at 860-344-0380 (Central CT) or 1-800-453-3320 (all other areas in Connecticut).

¿Qué hacer si recibes una Notificación deSobrepago del Seguro Social?

Una Notificación de sobrepago es una carta que dice que usted le debe dinero al Seguro Social.  La notificación puede decir que el Seguro Social va a tomar algo de su cheque de SSI para pagar lo que debe.

Si la Notificación de sobrepago es con relación a un sobrepago de SSDI, usted debe ver el panfleto de ayuda legal acerca de Sobrepago de SSDI porque las reglas son diferentes.

Este panfleto le dice que hacer si todo esto es verdad:

  • recibe SSI,
  • el Seguro Social le envió una Notificación de sobrepago, y
  • cree que algo en la Notificación de sobrepago es incorrecta o no puede permitirse devolver el dinero.

No ignore la notificación.  Si cree que hay un error, póngase en contacto con el Seguro Social y solicite un formulario de apelación inmediatamente.

¿Qué puede causar un sobrepago?

Usted tendrá un sobrepago si el Seguro Social le paga demasiado dinero porque tienen la información incorrecta o no existe suficiente información acerca de usted.  Es su trabajo asegurarse de que el Seguro Social tenga la información correcta acerca de usted, y que reciba dicha información a tiempo.  Aquí hay algunos ejemplos de cosas que pueden causar un sobrepago:

  • No le deja saber al Seguro Social de inmediato cuando comienza a trabajar.
  • No le deja saber al Seguro Social de inmediato cada vez que sus ganancias cambian.
  • Usted informo al Seguro Social sobre los cambios, pero no ponen la información en su sistema de computadoras.
  • Usted gana más dinero que lo que el Seguro Social le permite mientras que usted esta recibiendo beneficios de SSI.
  • No le informa inmediatamente al Seguro Social sobre otro dinero que ingresa a su hogar. Por ejemplo:
    - Su cónyuge obtiene un empleo.
    - Usted recibe beneficios de compensación al trabajador o mantenimiento de menores.
    - Obtiene dinero de un caso en la corte.
    - Alguien está pagando el alquiler o facturas de la calefacción para usted.
    - Usted obtiene un préstamo sin documentación cuidadosa sobre como pagarlo.
  • Se casa o su cónyuge se muda hacia adentro o fuera de su hogar, pero no se lo informa al Seguro Social inmediatamente.
  • Usted deja que alguien ponga su vehículo, casa o dinero a su nombre.
  • Tiene una cuenta bancaria con más que su nombre en ella.
  • Usted está en la cárcel durante más de un mes.
  • Tiene más recursos que el límite permitido.**
  • Ya no está incapacitado, pero continúa recibiendo los beneficios.
  • No reporta un cambio, tal como su dirección o situación de vivienda al Seguro Social a tiempo.

**El Seguro Social dice que estoy sobre el límite de recursos.  ¿Qué significa eso?

El Seguro Social tiene un límite en lo que usted puede poseer mientras esta en el programa de SSI.  Estos se llaman recursos.

Estas cosas no cuentan como recursos para SSI:

  • un vehículo que utiliza,
  • una casa propia que vive en ella, y
  • objetos personales que utiliza.

Recursos que se tienen en cuenta son cosas tales como

  • dinero en efectivo y cuentas bancarias,
  • terreno o una casa que no vive en ella
  • vehículos adicionales,
  • antigüedades o joyas que tiene debido a su valor en efectivo, y
  • recursos que se puedan considerar (recursos que pertenecen a un cónyuge y que se cuentan para usted).

El límite en los recursos que cuentan para SSI es $2,000 para una persona.  Eso significa que no puede tener más de $2,000 en recursos. Usted no califica para SSI si sus recursos son demasiado altos, cuando aplique.

Si tiene demasiados recursos después de empezar a recibir SSI, el Seguro Social va a considerar que no es elegible para el programa de SSI para los meses cuando los recursos eran demasiado altos.  Usted tendrá un sobrepago por esos meses, y usted puede ser eliminado del programa de SSI.

Usted puede llamar al Seguro Social al 1-800-772-1213 o visite la página web para averiguar qué cosas a usted o su cónyuge se les permite tener como recursos cuando está recibiendo SSI.

**El Seguro Social dice que tengo ingresos no reportados.  ¿Qué significa eso?

Ingresos no reportados significa que trabajó o entró otro dinero en su hogar, pero usted no le informó al Seguro Social o no tienen record de que les informó a tiempo.

  • El Seguro Social cuenta el ingreso para el mes en que lo recibe, no en el mes que usted lo ganó.
  • Aun si usted trabaja solamente un tiempo corto, usted tiene que notificarlo al Seguro Social.
  • Usted debe de informar al Seguro Social cada vez que el dinero que usted recibe en un mes sube o baja.

Debe reportar nuevos ingresos por un mes, o cualquier cambio para el día 10 del mes siguiente.

Si usted tuvo ingresos o su ingreso cambió durante este mes: Usted tiene que reportarle al Seguro Social sobre ese ingreso no más tarde de esta fecha:
Enero 10 de febrero
Febrero 10 de marzo
Marzo 10 de abril
Abril 10 de mayo
Mayo 10 de junio
Junio 10 de julio
Julio 10 de agosto
Agosto 10 de septiembre
Septiembre 10 de octubre
Octubre 10 de noviembre
Noviembre 10 de diciembre
Diciembre 10 de enero

Para demostrar que usted le informó a tiempo al Seguro Social sobre cambios (en los ingresos, recursos, su dirección o su hogar), esto es lo que debe hacer:

  • Escribir una carta al Seguro Social acerca de cómo su ingreso subió o bajó, o como cambiaron sus recursos, su dirección o su situación en el hogar.  Firme y ponga fecha a la carta.  Haga una copia de la carta y conserve la copia para usted.
  • Hacer copias de sus talonarios de pago, los cheques que recibió o algo que muestre su dirección nueva e inclúyalos en su carta.
  • Envíe la carta original por correo certificado con acuse de recibo.  Debe hacer esto en la oficina de correos.  Conserve el recibo de la oficina de correos.
  • Guardar el acuse de recibo, que es la tarjeta postal firmada que le regresa a usted por correo y que muestra que el Seguro Social recibió su carta.

El Seguro Social anima a las personas en SSI a trabajar al no contar todas sus ganancias contra su SSI.  Las reglas son complicadas.  Asegúrese de reportar todas sus ganancias inmediatamente.  También informe cualquier gasto incurrido para poder trabajar que es causado por su incapacidad. 

Usted debe hablar con un consejero certificado de trabajo para recibir consejo cuando trabaja mientras recibe el SSI. 

Puede encontrar información general visitando la página web del Seguro Social en

¿Qué puedo hacer si hay un sobrepago?

Si usted recibe una Notificación de sobrepago, hay cuatro cosas que puede hacer:

  • Pedir una reconsideración del sobrepago si considera que no fue sobrepagado o cree que la cantidad es incorrecta.  Es importante pedir una reconsideración rápidamente--dentro de 35 días de la fecha de la notificación del sobrepago, si es posible.
  • Solicitar una exención si acepta que fue sobrepagado pero desea ser excusado de pagar el dinero.
  • Pedir que le saquen cantidades menores de su cheque de SSI. Utilice la parte del presupuesto del formulario de exención para mostrar sus dificultades financieras.
  • Si el Seguro Social le termina del programa de SSI totalmente debido a sus ganancias pero usted está tan incapacitado ahora que no puede trabajar en absoluto, o usted no puede trabajar más de un par de horas con salario mínimo, puede pedir una restitución acelerada durante los siguientes 60 meses.  Restitución acelerada significa que obtendrá hasta seis meses de SSI mientras que el Seguro Social decide si todavía está incapacitado.  Si a usted no le conceden la restitución acelerada, entonces necesitará reaplicar para SSI y cumplir con todos los requisitos de elegibilidad para recibir SSI otra vez.

¿Cuales son los límites de tiempo?

Si usted pide una reconsideración dentro de 35 días de la fecha de la notificación, el Seguro Social no le sacará dinero de su cheque de SSI mientras están tomando una decisión sobre su solicitud de reconsideración. 

Usted debe pedir una reconsideración dentro de 65 días de la fecha de la notificación. Si pide una reconsideración dentro de 65 días de la fecha de la notificación, el Seguro Social debe dejar de tomar dinero de su cheque de SSI hasta que tomen una decisión sobre su solicitud.

Si tiene una buena razón para solicitar la reconsideración después de 65 días, explique sus razones al Seguro Social y envíe el formulario con sus razones en él aunque esté tarde.

Puede pedir una exención en cualquier momento.  Al pedir la exención también hará que el Seguro Social deje de tomar dinero de su cheque de SSI mientras están tomando una decisión sobre su solicitud de exención.  Puede que desee esperar a pedir una exención hasta saber si se le deniega la reconsideración.

¿Que pasa si recibí una notificación de terminación?

A veces cuando las personas tienen un sobrepago, también reciben una Notificación de terminación, que es una notificación que dice que los beneficios van a terminar.

Si usted recibe una notificación, póngase en contacto con el Seguro Social para apelar la terminación inmediatamente.       

Si usted apela una terminación dentro de los 15 días de la fecha de la notificación de terminación, sus beneficios deben continuar mientras que el Seguro Social toma una decisión.

  • Para continuar recibiendo sus beneficios, usted debe obtener y radicar dos formularios al Seguro Social: un formulario de apelación y el Formulario SSA 795.

Si se pasa el término de 15 días, todavía puede apelar hasta 65 días desde la fecha de la notificación de terminación.

Si se pasa del término de 65 días pero tiene una buena razón para apelar después de los 65 días, explique sus razones al Seguro Social y presente el formulario de apelación con las razones en él aunque sea tarde.

Cómo solicitar una reconsideración

Para pedir una reconsideración, llene y radique el Formulario SSA-561-U2 con el Seguro Social.  En el formulario, explique

  • por qué cree que no le han sobre pagado, o
  • por qué cree que la cantidad es incorrecta.

Adjunte una copia de su prueba de que usted informó sus ingresos, recursos o cambios en su hogar o arreglos de vivienda.   Guarde una copia de la prueba para sí mismo.

En el formulario, tiene que decir como desea que el caso sea manejado.  Usted puede pedir una revisión del caso, una conferencia informal o una conferencia formal.

  • Una revisión del caso significa que un trabajador del Seguro Social repasará su expediente y tomará una decisión sobre si usted debe devolver el dinero.
  • En una conferencia informal, usted se reúne con un trabajador del Seguro Social para revisar su expediente.  Usted podrá explicar lo que sucedió, y puede dar nueva información al Seguro Social sobre su situación.  Usted puede traer a otras personas con usted para ayudarle a explicar su caso.
  • Una conferencia formal es más parecida a una audiencia en la corte.  Usted presentará su caso y puede traer a otras personas con usted para ayudar a exponer su caso.

Si se le niega la reconsideración del sobrepago

Si el Seguro Social le niega su solicitud de reconsideración, puede solicitar una audiencia ante un Juez de ley administrativa (ALJ).  Deberá solicitar la audiencia dentro de 65 días desde la fecha de la carta de denegación de la reconsideración.  Pidiendo una audiencia con el juez no hará que el Seguro Social pare de tomar algo o todo el dinero de su cheque para pagar lo que debe.

Si usted todavía no ha solicitado una exención, puede hacerlo ahora.

Cómo solicitar una exención

Para pedir una exención, complete y presente el formulario SSA-632-BK con el Seguro Social.  Use este formulario si usted quiere pedirle al Seguro Social que

  • no colecte (o renuncie) el dinero,
  • haga que usted pague solamente parte del dinero (esto se llama un compromiso), o que
  • establezca un plan de pago que usted puede pagar.

Al concederse una exención, el Seguro Social decide que no tiene culpa de ocasionar el sobrepago y que

  • cobrar el dinero sería derrotar el propósito del programa de SSI, o
  • sería injusto (contra equidad y buena conciencia).

Usted tiene el derecho a una conferencia personal antes de que se tome la decisión de su solicitud de exención.  Usted tiene el derecho a revisar su expediente con un trabajador de Seguro Social que puede contestar sus preguntas hasta cinco días antes de la conferencia.  Usted también tiene el derecho

  • a traer a alguien con usted a la conferencia,
  • a declarar,
  • hacer preguntas, y
  • mostrar pruebas acerca de las cosas que esta diciendo.

Para apoyar su solicitud de exención, usted debe demostrar que hizo su mejor esfuerzo (tomando en cuenta sus problemas médicos y cualquier problema de lenguaje o entendimiento) para

  • darle al Seguro Social toda la información que necesitaban en el tiempo apropiado,
  • decirle al Seguro Social la verdad, y
  • devolver cualquier pago que usted debía haber sabido que estaba incorrecto.

Déjele saber al Seguro Social si usted tomó alguna decisión basada en lo que el Seguro Social le ha dicho (lo cual usted no hubiera hecho de otro modo).  También déjele saber al Seguro Social si usted recibe algún otro beneficio público, tal como asistencia de efectivo para un niño o nieto.  Informe al Seguro Social su presupuesto y si tiene algunos gastos inusuales.  Si el Seguro Social le niega su solicitud de exención, usará n esta información para decidir cuanto le van a quitar de su cheque cada mes.

Si le niegan la exención

Si su solicitud de exención es denegada, usted necesitará apelar para que hagan una reconsideración de la denegación de la exención.  Este es el paso siguiente si tuviera una conferencia personal o no.  Usted tiene 65 días desde la fecha de la noticia de denegación para pedir la reconsideración de la denegación de exención.

Si se deniega la reconsideración de la negación, usted tiene 65 días desde la fecha de la notificación de la denegación para solicitar una audiencia ante un Juez de ley administrativa (ALJ).  Pidiendo una audiencia con el juez sobre su solicitud de exención no va a parar que el Seguro Social tome parte o la totalidad de su cheque para pagar lo que debe.

Si le niegan ambas reconsideración y la exención

Si se le niega tanto la reconsideración de sobrepago y exención (con o sin una conferencia personal), el Seguro Social puede comenzar a tomar dinero de su cheque.  Ellos no van a tomar el cheque completo de SSI.  Lo más que pueden deducirle cada mes es un 10% de la totalidad de su ingreso mensual.  Pero si usted presenta en su presupuesto que no puede pagar sus gastos ordinarios y necesarios, el Seguro Social puede tomar tan poco como un $1 por mes para pagar el sobrepago.

Debido a que la ley de sobrepago es complicada y las apelaciones pueden ser confusas, es mejor hablar con un abogado tan pronto como sea posible.

Si usted tiene ingresos muy bajos, llame a la línea de Servicios Legales Estatales al 860-344-0380 (CT Central y Middletown) o al 1-800-453-3320 (todas las demás áreas de Connecticut).

Get Help From Legal Aid

Age 60+: Get help from legal aid.
Under age 60: Find legal help or apply online.
Not from Connecticut? Find help in another state.